Military History Tours Le Hamel (France) 1 - 5 July 2018
Le Hamel (France) July 2018
The Hamel operation was under the command of Lieutenant General John Monash. Many of the tactics employed, such as the use of combined arms from the massed attacks mounted earlier in the war, illustrate the evolution of modern military tactics. All the Allies' objectives were achieved in 93 minutes, just three minutes more than Monash's calculated battle time of 90 minutes. Using conventional tactics, the fighting could have lasted for weeks or months, with much higher casualty rates. For example, a similar defensive position had resisted Allied capture for two months at the Battle of the Somme. The battle was the first time in the war that American troops participated in an offensive action under non-American command. Ten American companies joined with Australian troops under Australian command, although six were recalled before the battle. The Battle of Hamel was to have far-reaching consequences for trench warfare, because, it provided a practical demonstration of tactics for attacking an entrenched enemy using combined arms tactics. The strategy employed at Hamel was then successful on a much larger scale in the Battle of Amiens and was a major factor in Allied successes later in the war.
Price: Tour 1: $2495.00 (5 days / 4 nights) per person twin share, single supplement $550.00.
Included in the tour price:
Not included in tour price:
Friday, 29 June 2018 - PARIS: (Tour 2 Only)
This is the day when Tour 2 guests gather at our Paris hotel and are met by their historians. The remainder of the day and evening is free to relax and meet other guests.
Saturday, 30 June 2018 - PARIS: (Tour 2 Only)
After breakfast at the hotel, you have a free day to relax after your long flight, or take the tube to Paris and do some sightseeing. B
Sunday, 1 July 2018 - THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
Our tour departs for the Somme from our Paris hotel, at 1000. Tour 1 guests are to be at the hotel by 0930. We will stop in Peronne on the way to visit the Grande Guerre Museum. After settling into our hotel, we will attend a briefing to look at the next three days of our touring plan. B/D
Monday, 2 July 2018 THE SOMME:
After breakfast your coach will depart for the first of our three days touring the Somme battlefields. Your Military Historian travelling with you will brief you during the day on events and the significance of the places you visit.
During the touring days you will visit many of the battle sites, memorials and cemeteries of the Somme and today we intend to visit, Bullecourt, the Lochnagar Crater, Pozieres, Theipval, Dernancourt, Beaumont Hamel, Sailly le Sec and Villers-Bretonneux. Dinner in our hotel. B/L/D
Tuesday, 3 July 2018 THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
With your box lunch for sustenance, you will again be led through the Somme battlefields by your historian. Today it is our intention to visit Delville Wood, Mont St Quentin, the 2nd Division Memorial, Bellenglise, the 4th Division Memorial, Maissemy, the Riqueval Canal and where the Australian Corps under General Monash finished the War, at Montbrehain.
Tonight you are granted leave. A free night in Amiens to view the Cathedrale Notre Dame ( larger than Notre Dame in Paris ), then find your own special French restaurant on the river running through town, and for the ladies especially, shop!
Coach transport will be provided in and out of Amiens. B/L
Wednesday, 4 July 2018 Le HAMEL: (Tours 1 and 2)
We will leave this day clear at this time so that as we get closer to the time, we will be in a position to respond to any Government Service that is planned and be able then to attend any special Services that are being held in the Somme. B/L/D
Thursday, 5 July 2018 THE SOMME to PARIS or IEPER: (Tours 1 and 2)
Our tour splits, some to Paris and the rest to Ieper.
We say farewell to the Tour 1 people as they head back to Paris. The coach will have two (2) drop points ONLY: at the Gare du Nord 2 km north of the Siene River, central Paris; and at Charles de Gaulle Airport, Roissy-en-France. B
Our tour 2 members will travel to Vimy Ridge, Fromelles, Ploegsteert Wood and Messines before reaching our leper hotel, our accommodation city for the next three nights. B/L/D
Friday, 6 July 2018 - IEPER: (Tour 2 Only)
After breakfast, we have a change of pace. Just relax or take your coach to Bruges for a sightseeing and shopping excursion where the lace and chocolates are said to be the best in the world. The coach will return to leper mid afternoon which will allow further time to explore leper. Tonight, we will attend the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate. B/D
Saturday, 7 July 2018 - IEPER: (Tour 2 Only)
Our last day on the battlefields will take us to those famous battle sites in the leper Salient such as Hill 60, Polygon Wood, Passchendaele and finally a visit to Tyne Cot Cemetery. B/L/D
Sunday, 8 July 2018 - LONDON: (Tour 2 Only)
After breakfast, we depart our hotel by coach for Calais and the Ferry to Dover and coach to London. After settling in, you are free to explore London at your leisure. B
Monday, 9 July 2018 - LONDON: (Tour 2 Only)
Breakfast at your hotel. Today is a free day to take in the sights of London. Evening is yours to enjoy. B
Tuesday, 10 July 2018 - LONDON: (Tour 2 Only)
Today, after breakfast, our tour ends. B
Itinerary adjusted 22 November 2017
1. GENERAL: This tour has been prepared by Military History Tours (MHT).
2. Military History Tours (MHT), urges you to read the booking terms and conditions and contact us if you need any clarification. At the time of publishing this on the internet, the arrangements outlined in it, the price and the inclusions were all confirmed. However, MHT reserves the right to make amendments to the program and the price, should conditions beyond the control of MHT change.
3. DEPOSITS: A deposit of AUD $500.00 per person is required to secure a booking on the tour.
4. BOOKINGS: Bookings can be made direct with MHT. The registration form available for download must reach MHT, together with the deposit, to secure a reservation.
5. FINAL PAYMENT AND CANCELLATIONS: Final payment will be required NLT 28 February 2018. Any cancellations prior to this date will be entitled to a full refund. After 28 February 2018 any cancellation will be subject to the cancellation policy of the hotels and other service providers. You should consider cancellation insurance if you believe you may have to cancel arrangements close to these dates.
6. TRAVEL DOCUMENTS: If you are travelling on an Australian passport, you will not need visas to visit France. However, we recommend that your passport has a minimum of 6 months validity at the time of your departure from Australia. If you are travelling on other than an Australian passport you should check with MHT on the requirements.
7. ACCOMMODATION: All hotels used in this tour are at least 3 and 4 star standard.
8. CHILDREN AND INFANTS: No deposits are required for children under 12 years of age. However, they should be detailed on the registration form so that appropriate accommodation is provided. The cost for children and infants, under 3, will be provided on request.
9. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Should you have special food requirements or a disability that will require special handling please detail it on the registration form.
10. INSURANCE: It is not acceptable for MHT to accept people on its tours who are not holding appropriate travel insurance.
11. INCLUSIONS AND EXCLUSIONS: A list of the inclusions and exclusions is included on the program.
12. TOUR CANCELLATION: MHT reserves the right to cancel this tour at any time prior to commencement should booking numbers be insufficient to cover costs. Should the tour be cancelled subject to this clause, all payments made to MHT will be refunded, less any funds not able to be recovered from suppliers.
13. SUMMARY: MHT has run battlefield tours for over 20 years. If you join this tour, MHT guarantee that should you have a specific Australian grave site to visit for family or other reasons, and providing it is registered with CWGC, we will make every effort to have you visit the site and have time to lay a wreath or poppy.
14. LAW OF CONTRACT: The contract for the "Le Hamel Centenary" tour is governed in all aspects by the law in the State of NSW and any legal action arising under the contract shall be litigated only in the appropriate court having jurisdiction in that state.
15. TRAVELLING WITH MEDALS :
For those who wish to display their own or a relative's medals when showing their respects, the airline security situation must be recognised. Due to the pin at the rear of all medal displays, it is no longer possible to carry them as hand luggage and they must be deposited in your main luggage (cargo hold bag). Valuable original medals in your cargo hold bag could be lost. Insurance can cover the cost to replace your clothing, not your great grandfather's original World War 1 or World War 2 medals. It is recommended that you purchase a duplicate set, and put it in your cargo hold bag. Leave your valuable originals at home.