Military History Tours Armistice Day and Advance to Victory (France) 7 - 12 November 2018
Armistice Day and Advance to Victory
Remembrance Day (11 November) marks the anniversary of the armistice which ended the First World War (191418). Each year Australians observe one minute silence at 11 am on 11 November, in memory of those who died or suffered in all wars and armed conflicts.
If you are looking for a meaningful way to commemorate the centenary of 11 November 1918 the date World War I officially ended, there is no better way than to go to the Somme for an occasion to mark the end of hostilities which decimated the area from 1916 to 1918. Villers-Bretonneux; a town with a strong connection to Australia after our troops recaptured it from the Germans in 1918, thus turning the tide of the German advance on Amiens and towards Paris; is the place.
Price: Tour 1 - $2,995.00 (6 days/ 5 nights) per person twin share, single supplement $550.00
Included in the tour price:
Not included in tour price:
Monday, 5 November 2018 - PARIS: (Tour 2 Only)
This is the day when Tour 2 guests gather at our Paris hotel and are met by their historians. The remainder of the day and evening is free to relax and meet other guests.
Tuesday, 6 November 2018 - PARIS: (Tour 2 Only)
After breakfast at the hotel, the rest of the day is yours to explore this beautiful city. B
Wednesday, 7 November 2018 - THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
Our tour departs for the Somme from our Paris hotel, at 0900. Tour 1 guests are to be at the hotel by 0830. We will first visit the Sir John Monash Centre at Villers-Bretonneux, the Centre is high tech, make certain you have your smart 'phone and a set of earphones. Thereafter we will stop in Peronne on the way to visit the Grande Guerre Museum. After settling into our hotel, we will attend a briefing to look at our touring plan. BLD
Thursday, 8 November 2018 - THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
After breakfast your coach will depart for our first day's touring the Somme battlefields. Your Military Historian travelling with you will brief you during the day on events and the significance of the places you visit.
During the touring days, you will visit many of the battle sites, memorials and cemeteries of the Somme and today we intend to visit Bullecourt, Beaumont Hamel, Pozieres, Thiepval, Dernancourt and the Lochnagar Crater. B/L/D
Friday, 9 November 2018 THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
With your box lunch for sustenance, you will again be led through the Somme battlefields by your historian,. Our plan today is to visit Delville Wood, Mont St Quentrin, Maissemy, the Riqueval Canal, and where the Australian Corps under General Monash finished their war at Montbrehan. B/L/D
Saturday, 10 November 2018 - THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
After breakfast, we continue our touring of the battlefields of the Somme, taking in places missed yesterday, and spending time in Villers-Bretonneux to visit the Victoria school. B/L/D
Sunday, 11 November 2018 ARMISTICE DAY THE SOMME: (Tours 1 and 2)
Today will be kept free to attend the Armistice Day Service and any other activities that may occur in the Somme as part of the other services that may form part of the commemoration of the end of WW1. B/L/D
Monday, 12 November 2018 - PARIS or IEPER: (Tours 1 and 2)
Our tour splits, some to Paris and the rest to Ieper.
We say farewell to the Tour 1 people as they head back to Paris. The coach will have two (2) drop points ONLY: at the Gare du Nord 2 km north of the Siene River, central Paris; and at Charles de Gaulle Airport, Roissy-en-France. B
Our tour 2 members will travel to Vimy Ridge, Fromelles, Ploegsteert Wood and Messines before reaching our leper hotel, our accommodation city for the next three nights. B/L/D
Tuesday, 13 November 2018 - IEPER: (Tour 2 Only)
After breakfast, we have a change of pace. Just relax or take your coach to Bruges for a sightseeing and shopping excursion where the lace and chocolates are said to be the best in the world. The coach will return to leper mid afternoon which will allow further time to explore leper. Tonight, we will attend the last post ceremony at the Menin Gate. B/D
Wednesday, 14 November 2018 - IEPER: (Tour 2 Only)
Our last day on the battlefields will take us to those famous battle sites in the leper Salient such as Hill 60, Polygon Wood, Passchendaele and finally a visit to Tyne Cot Cemetery. B/L/D
Thursday, 15 November 2018 - LONDON: (Tour 2 Only)
After breakfast, we depart our hotel by coach for Calais and the Ferry to Dover and coach to London. After settling in, you are free to explore London at your leisure. B
Friday, 16 November 2018 - LONDON: (Tour 2 Only)
Breakfast at your hotel. Today is a free day to take in the sights of London. Evening is yours to enjoy. B
Saturday, 17 November 2018 - LONDON: (Tour 2 Only)
Today, after breakfast, our tour ends. B
Itinerary adjusted 22 November 2017
1. GENERAL: This tour has been prepared by Military History Tours (MHT).
2. Military History Tours (MHT), urges you to read the booking terms and conditions and contact us if you need any clarification. At the time of publishing this on the internet, the arrangements outlined in it, the price and the inclusions were all confirmed. However, MHT reserves the right to make amendments to the program and the price, should conditions beyond the control of MHT change.
3. DEPOSITS: A deposit of AUD $500.00 per person is required to secure a booking on the tour.
4. BOOKINGS: Bookings can be made direct with MHT. The registration form available for download must reach MHT, together with the deposit, to secure a reservation.
5. FINAL PAYMENT AND CANCELLATIONS: Final payment will be required NLT 31 July 2018. Any cancellations prior to this date will be entitled to a full refund. After 31 July 2018 any cancellation will be subject to the cancellation policy of the hotels and other service providers. You should consider cancellation insurance if you believe you may have to cancel arrangements close to these dates.
6. TRAVEL DOCUMENTS: If you are travelling on an Australian passport, you will not need visas to visit France. However, we recommend that your passport has a minimum of 6 months validity at the time of your departure from Australia. If you are travelling on other than an Australian passport you should check with MHT on the requirements.
7. ACCOMMODATION: All hotels used in this tour are at least 3 and 4 star standard.
8. CHILDREN AND INFANTS: No deposits are required for children under 12 years of age. However, they should be detailed on the registration form so that appropriate accommodation is provided. The cost for children and infants, under 3, will be provided on request.
9. SPECIAL REQUESTS: Should you have special food requirements or a disability that will require special handling please detail it on the registration form.
10. INSURANCE: It is not acceptable for MHT to accept people on its tours who are not holding appropriate travel insurance.
11. INCLUSIONS AND EXCLUSIONS: A list of the inclusions and exclusions is indicated above.
12. TOUR CANCELLATION: MHT reserves the right to cancel this tour at any time prior to commencement should booking numbers be insufficient to cover costs. Should the tour be cancelled subject to this clause, all payments made to MHT will be refunded, less any funds not able to be recovered from suppliers.
13. SUMMARY: MHT has run battlefield tours for over 20 years. If you join this tour, MHT guarantee that should you have a specific Australian grave site to visit for family or other reasons, and providing it is registered with CWGC, we will make every effort to have you visit the site and have time to lay a wreath or poppy.
14. LAW OF CONTRACT: The contract for the "Armistice Day Centenary" tour is governed in all aspects by the law in the State of NSW and any legal action arising under the contract shall be litigated only in the appropriate court having jurisdiction in that state.